Saturday, January 25, 2020

26 January


AUSTRALIA   DAY!

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!


Most famous stanza from 'My Country' by
Dorothea Mackeller early 1900s

Australia before unprecedented droughts, heat,  late monsoon season and
unseasonably devastating bushfires.


And a more light-hearted look at 'Straya' as we celebrate:  barbecues, water activities and 
Citizenship Ceremonies welcoming new Australians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMdbVHPmCW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMdbVHPmCW0

9 comments:

  1. Happy Austraila Day, I hope all the heat and drought and monsoons and weather related disasters are leaving you now... beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Australia Day!
    Paws crossed for a safe year with the right amount of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Australia Day. We hope you get some rain and cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pack please tell HER thank you very very much for these links
    displaying all the wonders and beauty of your Straya. I love the song too. Happy Australia Day!!
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. ¸¸.•*¨*•*´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Happy Australia Day from the place you first called home!

    ReplyDelete